Thursday, March 8, 2012

My surgery and aftermath

Well my surgery was on the 20th of February and I was so psyched.  So calm, not a nerve in sight!  Got to the hospital around 6am and soon afterwards Pat Cline joined us to tell me what was going to happen.


Things moved quickly and I was in holding waiting to go to the OR.  I remember nothing after that until I woke up in recovery.  Not sure of how long I was there but all the sudden I felt ill.  I asked for a basin to vomit in.  The nurse no sooner handed it to me and I started bringing up huge blood clots.  Larger than the size of a golf ball.  Then blood lots of blood.  I think I passed out because I don't remember much after that.  My blood sugars were over 500 and they were taking my blood sugars every hour.  


I woke up and was told that I had been transfused with 4 units of blood, that I was obviously bleeding somewhere internally but they weren't sure where.  My H&H was bottoming out and I was now in the ICU.  Steven was standing by my side, pale as a ghost, looking so scared.  I knew things were bad.


I don't remember Monday except a few slices of time, here and there and most of Tuesday is a blur too.  Two more blood transfusions on Tuesday. I was still bleeding and they were trying to find out where.  I guess they did a portable xray while I was out cold and they were concerned.  My surgeon came in and jokingly told me to stop starting trouble.  I told him that I would try.  I passed out.  


Wednesday came and I started having blood out both ends.  Two more units of blood, H&H in the toilet again.  Remarkably, I was in very little pain.  Tons of doctors came in to see me, to check on me. I couldn't sleep in the bed, so I slept in the recliner.  Every time Steven and Dillon came to see me, I could see the concern on their faces.  Dillon fell apart on Wednesday and told me that he didn't want me to die.  I held him tightly and told him that I would be okay. 


Thursday came and I started to feel better.  But my H&H still wasn't the best so another 2 units of blood to help.  I had begun to itch to go home.   I was finally able to get up out of bed on Thursday, still in the ICU and monitored closely, but at least I was able to walk around.  They did the swallow test and it came back okay.  They still don't have an explanation as to why I started vomiting blood.  They said it happens in .00001% of all patients.  


On Friday I was told that they were going to move me from ICU to the gastric unit.  I was thrilled.  By Friday afternoon, I was doing so well that I no longer had any IV's, my PICC line was out, and I was off all monitors.  I wanted to go home!


All the nurses were wonderful to me in ICU and I knew I would miss them but I was "stepping down" and that was exciting!  They moved me upstairs and the nursing unit said they didn't know what to do for me.  LOL  I wasn't hooked up to anything so I basically walked up and down the hallways trying to keep busy.  Friday night I didn't sleep hardly at all.  


Saturday morning, Dr. Bailey came in and told me that she was releasing me.  I could have done a jig right then and there!  Then she said she wanted to explain to me how critical I was.  She explained that I was as close to deaths door as I could get.  They were extremely worried because of all the blood I was losing and they couldn't find the source.  She told me about Monday and Tuesday and said that she was very concerned and she was in to check on me many times.  I was touched by her concern.  


When she left, I had some time to reflect.  I did everything right.  I lost 84 lbs before my surgery.  I stuck to my liquid diet as hard as it was.  I followed all the rules yet I still almost didn't survive.  But I did! 


Dr. Randy came in and chatted chickens with me and told me that he was taking me off all diabetes meds except for one.  I was thrilled!  He left and then the wait for the surgeon's office began.  Finally I had the nurse call to find out where they were.  She no sooner hung up the phone and they were walking down the hall!


I was out of there by 10am!  Woohoo!  When I got home, I got on the scale and saw I had gained 28 lbs!  WOW!  I knew I was swollen but never expected that much.  


I was home 5 days and developed an infection in my drain site.  Called the surgeon and they ordered liquid Levaquin. (YUCK!)  They pulled the drain and staples and on March 6th, they advanced my diet.  YAY!!  Food never tasted so good after being on a liquid diet for a month.  LOL


Now, to sum it all up.  Yes, I had a very difficult time after surgery. I almost lost my life.  Yes I developed an infection afterwards.


But would I change anything?  No!  I don't regret the surgery or the way its going to change my life. I'm 17 days out from surgery and I'm beginning to feel normal.  I have energy that I didn't have before.  I barely feel as though I had this surgery.  


This is my new life and I'm grateful for it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment